Friday, June 5, 2009

My New Calling

I have been a little heistant to post about this because it is pretty personal to me, but at some point I plan to print this blog out and want to remember it. As many of you know I haven't been active in the church for about the last 13 years. Back in November it seemed like my life was spirialing out of control nothing seemed to be going right and I felt lost. With the help of some great family and friends I decided that I would start going back to church and just see how I felt with the idea that I had nothing to lose at this point if I wanted to I could always go back to my old self. The Relief Society Presidency along with Visiting Teachers had been trying to come to my house since the day I moved in and I had always avoided them. They left me these little notes on my door that for some reason I always kept with their numbers, so when I was ready I called the Relief Society President. Her and her 1st counselor were over at my house the next day and I decided I would go to church that Sunday. For the sake of not making this too much into a book I knew it was time for me to go back. The Singles Branch I'm in is the best branch ever. The welcomed me and really made me feel like I belonged there and I was no different than anyone else. As I kept going to church I of course kept having the nagging feeling that I needed to go in and talk to my Bishop. This was so scary to me, going in and telling someone you don't know everything you need to repent for. I knew about the Atonement, but in no way did I understand it at all! With a lot of help, encouragement, patience and love my best friend finally made me understand that even though I had made some major mistakes Heavenly Father was ready to forgive me, as soon as I was ready to truly repent. I went in and talked to my Bishop, told him everything and felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. From there, I met with him weekly we talked about everything and I felt so comfortable. I started reading The Book of Mormon and knew without a doubt this was what I needed to do. So, skipping over a few parts I've been going to church faithfully and meeting with my Bishop faithfully every week for the last 6 or 7 months. In May, I missed a few week of church for Treyson's blessing and Daniel's Homecoming. I came back to find out that our Bishop had been released! I kind of freaked out wondering what would happen. I had the opportunity to talk to him a few weeks later and he reminded me that I had repented I didn't need to start over and there was nothing to be worried about. So, two weeks ago I get a call that our new Bishop wants to meet with me, I figure he is just calling everyone in to get to know them. To make a long story kind of short he asks me to accept the calling of 2nd counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. I really thought he was joking I couldn't believe that I was actually being trusted to do this job. After a lot of questions pertaining to "Are you sure? Me?" of course I accepted. If someone would have told me last summer that this is where I would be this summer I would have bet everything I have against it. It's amazing to me how the Atonement will work in your life, if you're ready and will let it. A book my Bishop gave me that really made me undetstand is "Believing Christ" by: Stephen Robinson. This book is excellent! I am very excited for my calling, but am also really nervous thinking Do I know enough? I have so many people in my life to thank for slowly bringing me back. I have so many family members and friends that are such wonderful examples and without knowing it you have really helped me :) I have made some wonderful friends in my branch that have included me in everything and have been patient with me. My little sister Kacie has always been an awesome example to me and has never given up on me. I only wish me being the older sister could have been a better example to her. She's always had to be the mature one though :) And my OLDER (adopted)sister Becca for never giving up on me. When things got hard (and there were some really hard times) she never let me give up. She is always there to ask me the hard questions. She is so strong and her strength and example help me to be the person I want to be. And of course my Heavenly Father who has walked beside me through this whole thing showing me how much he loves me. I still struggle every day, but with His help I know I'll be able to make it through. I am so grateful that he has trusted me with this calling. I am sorry about the rambling, and I know this probably wasn't the most interesting thing to read, but it's something I want to remember.

4 comments:

Christan said...

Tara- That is soooo AWESOME!!!! I think you mentioned going back to church in one of your posts, but I wasn't sure I read it right. I am so happy for you and hope all is going well. As for your calling...Holy Crap!! I have been active in the church for over 10 years now and I would be crapin in my pants if I got that calling!! Good for you! You can do anything with Heavenly Father's help. I miss you and will see you pretty soon!! :)

Unknown said...

You know I love you! I have so happy we finally got together last weekend! You are truly an example to me! Thank you for being you. I am so glad we are friends! By the way, I have a b-day present that I totally spaced giving you after the whole keys locked in the car incident. I will just try to ship it down there somehow! :) love ya!

JENNIFER said...

Tara! I love your blog and I think this is the best post I have ever read. I bauled! I am so grateful for you and your experience has been such a blessing and has strengthned my testimony. I'm SO grateful you are in the presidency with us I love you. This is truly Heavenly Father's work and it's amazing to see the marvelous work and wonder of it!

Ama said...

Tara, Thank you for sharing this I had heard alot of it from you, but not all of it. I am at work reading it and it brought tears to my eyes. You are an amazing person and such a FABULOUS example to me! I have no doubt that Heavenly Father wants you in this calling, I felt it and I couldn't deny it. I am greatful to serve with you at this time and to learn from you! Thank for you willingness to share your story and for your service and your friendship! I have enjoyed getting to know you and am excited to learn more about you and get to know you beter! Love you!